Sunwoo
C/D
October 6th, 2015
The Meaningful Memories
The faint light of the sun shone bright, lighting my room up. I could hear the sounds of my turtles asking for food and the wind brushing past the trees outside. I pulled off my blanket and jumped out of bed. I looked out the window as the sun shone brightly onto my face as a cool and refreshing gush of wind brushed past me.
Today’s going to be a great day, I thought as I started to get out of my room. The floor made a hollow sound as I tiptoed carefully out of the room. I gently pushed down the doorknob and pushed open the door as it creaked from the rusted parts.
My mom cheerfully and suddenly pushed opened the her room’s door. Then, she said good morning with a big smile on her face. Well this is a first, I thought. My mom was always waking up late. I took a heaping spoon of cereal and stuffed it into my mouth, thinking we were in a rush to go somewhere. I didn’t realize it, but she seemed to be trying to say something else. “I just remembered!” She exclaimed, like she remembered something that would change the world . “We need to get the dolls we have ready to sell for next week!”
“Wait- wha-” She cut me off. I think my mom was unaware that I had no idea of what she was talking about, but before I knew it, my mom was leading me to a room and I was following my mom, closing the door behind me. I suddenly felt worried and scared, seeing my mom rushing me like that. Was this something bad? Was it very urgent?
The next thing I knew, I was in my sister’s room. She pointed to the stuffed animals on the shelf without saying anything, just smiling. It was as if she was happy I had no idea what she was talking about. I observed the dolls carefully, trying to find out what she was telling me to do. I realized nothing. The only thing I realized was that we had so many dolls. I hesitantly looked at my mom, trying to signal that I needed help. Hopefully she wasn’t expecting me to know what she was trying to say, I thought, for some reason getting very nervous.
I didn’t know if my mom understood the signal, but finally, after staring at my bewildered face, my mom whispered, making sure my sister didn’t wake up, “We’re going to sell some of our dolls to raise money for Caring For Cambodia.” I froze, feeling relieved but more shocked. I was so shocked at the sudden information. I didn’t realize, but I must have also looked very shocked.
My mom continuously told me that I could keep some of the dolls but I was not listening to her. My mind was just blank. I stared at the wall and finally realized where I was and what I was supposed to be doing.
Since I was young, I had wanted to donate to a charity after finding out about the people in need for a long time. But know, when I we were just about to do the one thing I had been wishing for, I wanted to refuse the fact that I had to donate my stuffed animals. I didn’t want to donate all the dolls I had been with for 11 years, my life. After hesitating a little, I forced myself to get the dolls inside the bags. I made myself think of the poor people that would need all this money and dragged myself onto the bed, stretching my arm out, reaching for a stuffed animal on the shelf.
I thought carefully, wanting to choose to keep the dolls that I had made the most memories with. I was frustrated at myself for even hesitating. Why was I so sad to give the stuffed animals away? I thought. I didn’t even know the answer for that. I dumped the dolls one by one, into the giant plastic bag. Every time I put one into the bag, I remembered the memories I had with each one together.
In this piece, I worked hard on...
I worked hard on using precise descriptions so the reader could "see" what was happening in the story. For example. In the first paragraph, I described the setting clearly.
Next time, I could...
Next time, I could work on making the heart of the story clearer, because my heart in this story is not very important.
No comments:
Post a Comment