Sunday, November 29, 2015

Typical Height of a 6th Grader

The typical height of a 6th grader is 61 inches.


The mode is the number that occurs the most in a set, and the median is the middle number in a set. The range is the maximum number minus the minimum number, and the interquartile range (IQR) is the range in between the quarters. The variability is how varied the data is.


According to the data of the heights, the mode was 61, and the median was also 61. This could prove that the number that occurs the most and is in the middle would be the typical height, and therefore, the typical height is 61 inches.


To find the variability of the data, you would need to find the range and the IQR. To find the range, I subtracted 72 inches(The maximum) by 52 inches (The minimum) and got 20 inches. To find the IQR, I found the first and third quarters and subtracted them to get 4 inches. (63-59= 4.) The IQR compared to the range is not a lot, so therefore, the variability is low.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you first explained what the mode, median, range, and IQR was so that we could get a rough idea, but maybe you could explain how to find the first and third quarters to get the IQR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you you explained what how you use the methods on how you got 61 inches. I also like how you used paragraphs effectively. One thing that you could work on is using the term quartile instead of quarters because they are different.

    ReplyDelete